Saturday, December 22, 2012

Butternuts Porkslap Pale Ale

Thanks for coming by everyone!  While doing some Christmas shopping after work on Friday, some detours caused by local flooding caused me to drive by a liquor store I've never been to before (the Liquor Barn).  I've always wanted to stop in, mainly for the reason that they built it to look like a big red barn!  Not knowing what to expect in the arena of beer, I went in not expecting much.  I left pleasantly surprised!  Their selection is not huge, but they let you mix a 6 pack with what they have!  I ended up leaving with Sixpoint Diesel, Brooklyn Monster, River Horse Tripel, Harpoon Winter Warmer, Sierra Nevada Celebration, and the beer I will be reviewing tonight, Butternuts Porkslap Pale Ale.  They also surprisingly had bottles of Brooklyn Black Ops!!  I would never have expected that.
Butternuts Beer and Ale is a brewery located on a 130-acre farm in Garrattsville, NY.  Here's a little about them from their Facebook page:

"Located in a renovated dairy barn, we brew session-style farmhouse ales. Water is taken from our own springs and lends to our signature flavor. Our pale ale, weissebier, IPA and stout are available year-round. Look for select styles on draft brewed with wheat and hops grown in our own field. Stop by for a tasting, enjoy the country setting and take home a growler."
Their Porkslap Pale Ale pours an orange-amber color with a small white head that dissipates fairly quickly, but leaves a nice white crown on top of the beer.  The beer has a fruity and earthy aroma, which follows into the flavor.  This is more of a malt forward pale ale, with only a subtle bitterness.  There was a little bit more carbonation than I expected, and the body was a little less than medium.  

Overall:  Not a bad beer, but not a great one either.  I'm glad I got to try this, but I don't think I would be picking it up again.  However, I would definitely choose it over the ubiquitous beers from Bud/Miller/Coors.  

Have you tried Porkslap, or any other beers from Butternuts?  What do you think of them?  Feel free to let me know in the comments!

As always, find me on Facebook, Twitter and Google+



No comments:

Post a Comment