Skip to main content

Chimay Red

Hey everyone, I hope you've all been able to have a great weekend.  Today I am going to begin to explore the world of Chimay as a result of a great Christmas present from my wife!  Hopefully along the way we can all learn something about this brewery/abbey that we did not know before.

Chimay is a town in Belgium where the Scourmont Abbey resides.  The monks who live at the abbey operate a farm, a brewery and a cheese plant, all within the confines of the abbey.  The money the monks make selling their beer and cheese is used for the upkeep of Scourmont Abbey, and what is left they use for social services, such as aiding the poor and less fortunate.

The Scourmont Abbey is known as a Trappist Abbey.  Monks who live at a Trappist Abbey follow the Rule of St. Benedict, which leads the monks to living a simple life, with no private possessions.  They live to follow their religion and to help those less fortunate.  It is important to note, that to be considered Trappist, a beer must be made within the confines of a Trappist Abbey.  There are some beers that are made in a "Trappist style", but are not truly Trappist beers.

(I found the info above at Chimay's website.  For more info, I've provided a link to the Chimay website, located above.)

More info on Chimay and Scourmont Abbey next time.  Now let's move on to the beer!
Chimay Red
Bières de Chimay S.A.
Dubbel (although not called a dubbel on the Chimay website)
7% ABV
When in 750 mL bottle, corked and caged, this beer is known as Chimay Première.  
Poured into a Chimay goblet.  The wide mouth on the goblet maintains head retention, and assures an attractive looking beer.
Chimay Red pours a reddish brown with a two finger width off white head.  Pleasant lacing is left on the glass as the head slowly dissipates.  There are aromas of dark fruits, earthiness and alcohol.  The flavors are much like the aroma, just twofold.  It tastes of sweet malts, dark fruits and a touch of alcohol.  It has a dry finish, which for me just makes me want to take another sip!  Medium mouthfeel/average carbonation.

Overall:  A great beer, with fantastic flavors.  This beer is well rounded and balanced.  I could see giving this to someone who is unfamiliar with Belgian beers as an introduction to the style.

Have you had Chimay Red?  What did you think?  Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Don't forget to come back to Mould's Beer Blog as I take on the other beers offered by Chimay!  Cheers!

As always, find me on Facebook, Twitter and Google+!  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogfish Head Positive Contact

Frankenstorm is on it's way.  Bread: Check.  Candles: Check.  Ice: Check.  Beer: Check!  The big storm is supposed to strike land here in NJ late Sunday night into early Monday morning, and last until late Tuesday.  Kerry and I live in the western part of NJ, so we should be safe from most of it, except for local river flooding.  Tonight I'll be reviewing Positive Contact from Dogfish Head.  This is their collaboration with Dan the Automator (who I honestly had never heard of before this collaboration). I poured Positive Contact into my Yards Brewing tulip glass.  It poured a pale orange, golden color with a two and a half finger width head.  Apples, bananas and peppers hit my nose right away.  The smell is incredible and strong.  The Positive Contact is full of flavor, and reminds me of a smooth drinking Belgian tripel.  It tastes immediately of fruity esters, mainly banana.  The finish is peppery.  I'm not getting any apple flavor.  This beer is light bodied, with

BJCP: Strong Scotch Ale (9E)

This is the first article in a new series of posts, where I will periodically choose a section from the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style guidelines , write about the style, and then drink and publish my tasting notes from some of the commercial examples given by the BJCP.  Now, I'm not sure if I will ever actually take the exam to become a beer judge, but I think this will be a fun exercise to learn more about beer! Fair warning, I will not be doing the sections of the BJCP style guidelines in any sort of order.  Whichever kinds of beer I am craving is what I will be writing about! Strong Scotch Ales (also known as Wee Heavy) comprise sub-category 9E in the BJCP style guidelines.  They range between 6.5% and 10.0% ABV, and have a light copper to dark brown appearance.  Obviously, strong scotch ales are all about showcasing the malt.  While studying this style, I found it quite interesting that the brewers ferment out the wort at cooler temperatures than other

The Six-Pack Project: New Jersey

Welcome to the Six-Pack Project!  The idea of the project is to create a six-pack of beer that would best represent the current beer scene in your respective state.  For me, that is obviously New Jersey.  The Six-Pack Project was created by Bryan over at the This Is Why I'm Drunk blog.  Check out his introduction to the project here ! 10 years ago, beer probably wasn't the first thing that came to your mind when you were thinking about New Jersey.  However, times are changing, and it's an exciting time to be a beer drinker in the Garden State.  Every year, more and more bars are starting to serve a greater variety in beer.  Even more importantly, new breweries haven been opening in NJ each year, and lots more are in planning Today, there is a wide variety of beer brewed here in New Jersey.  Choosing six beers to best represent the state was no easy feat, but I was up for it!  Hopefully, the following will clue you in a little bit more to some o