Skip to main content

Sixpoint Resin

12 oz  can of Sixpoint Resin
12 oz  can of Sixpoint Resin
Greetings all, thanks for stopping in!  Hope everyone's having a great weekend and staying warm.  A quick beer review this weekend.  Tonight I am drinking Resin from Sixpoint.  I have been meaning to pick this one up for awhile, and finally managed to get my hands on one.  It is a double IPA, and like all of Sixpoint's flagship beers, comes in a can.  I love the idea of IPAs in a can.  I can be a little OCD at times with purchasing IPAs, especially if I feel they've been sitting on the store shelf for a long time, and in the light.  Light will speed up the rate at which the fragile hop bitterness, flavor and aroma disappears from the beer, and can even impart a skunked flavor to the beer.  Packaging the IPA in a can helps to make the beer a little less fragile!  Let's dig in!
Sixpoint Resin, looks darker than it actually poured
Sixpoint Resin, looks darker than it actually poured
Resin
Double IPA
9.1% ABV
103 IBUs
9.5 SRM

Resin pours a very clear, light gold color with a fluffy finger width head.  Lots of tiny bubbles floating to the surface gives Resin an extremely appetizing appearance.  The aroma is classic west coast hops.  Full of citrus, pine and a bit of spice.  In the flavor there is a fantastic mix of citrus and pine, with only a light malt backbone.  Resin definitely showcases the excellent flavor and aromas of the hops.  The slight spice is still present in the flavor.  This is an incredibly easy to drink beer, with no hint of the 9.1% ABV.  It is a little sticky (hence the resin?).  There's an average carbonation, and a medium body.

Overall:  Sixpoint's Resin is a superb double IPA.  Setting this beer apart from other double IPAs is just how easy to drink it is.  If I had wanted to, I could have thrown it back in a couple long swigs, it's just that good.  Yet it is full of such great IPA flavor, without an intrusive hop bitterness.  Sure, it's still a bitter beer, just not overly so.  If you see this one at the store, pick it up!!!  
Sixpoint Resin
Sixpoint Resin
Have you had Sixpoint's Resin?  What did you think?  Let me know in the comments!

As always, find me on Facebook, Twitter and Google+!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogfish Head Positive Contact

Frankenstorm is on it's way.  Bread: Check.  Candles: Check.  Ice: Check.  Beer: Check!  The big storm is supposed to strike land here in NJ late Sunday night into early Monday morning, and last until late Tuesday.  Kerry and I live in the western part of NJ, so we should be safe from most of it, except for local river flooding.  Tonight I'll be reviewing Positive Contact from Dogfish Head.  This is their collaboration with Dan the Automator (who I honestly had never heard of before this collaboration). I poured Positive Contact into my Yards Brewing tulip glass.  It poured a pale orange, golden color with a two and a half finger width head.  Apples, bananas and peppers hit my nose right away.  The smell is incredible and strong.  The Positive Contact is full of flavor, and reminds me of a smooth drinking Belgian tripel.  It tastes immediately of fruity esters, mainly banana.  The finish is peppery.  I'm not getting any apple flavor.  This beer is light bodied, with

BJCP: Strong Scotch Ale (9E)

This is the first article in a new series of posts, where I will periodically choose a section from the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style guidelines , write about the style, and then drink and publish my tasting notes from some of the commercial examples given by the BJCP.  Now, I'm not sure if I will ever actually take the exam to become a beer judge, but I think this will be a fun exercise to learn more about beer! Fair warning, I will not be doing the sections of the BJCP style guidelines in any sort of order.  Whichever kinds of beer I am craving is what I will be writing about! Strong Scotch Ales (also known as Wee Heavy) comprise sub-category 9E in the BJCP style guidelines.  They range between 6.5% and 10.0% ABV, and have a light copper to dark brown appearance.  Obviously, strong scotch ales are all about showcasing the malt.  While studying this style, I found it quite interesting that the brewers ferment out the wort at cooler temperatures than other

The Six-Pack Project: New Jersey

Welcome to the Six-Pack Project!  The idea of the project is to create a six-pack of beer that would best represent the current beer scene in your respective state.  For me, that is obviously New Jersey.  The Six-Pack Project was created by Bryan over at the This Is Why I'm Drunk blog.  Check out his introduction to the project here ! 10 years ago, beer probably wasn't the first thing that came to your mind when you were thinking about New Jersey.  However, times are changing, and it's an exciting time to be a beer drinker in the Garden State.  Every year, more and more bars are starting to serve a greater variety in beer.  Even more importantly, new breweries haven been opening in NJ each year, and lots more are in planning Today, there is a wide variety of beer brewed here in New Jersey.  Choosing six beers to best represent the state was no easy feat, but I was up for it!  Hopefully, the following will clue you in a little bit more to some o