Skip to main content

Guest Post: Introducing Tom, The Beer Whisperer

Hey everyone, glad you could make it!  I'm out of town for the next few days, so I've enlisted The Beer Whisperer to give a post.  This is his first post here, so it's a bit of an introduction to The Beer Whisperer and the breweries and beers from his area in Missouri.  Check out his YouTube channel here!
------------------------------------
And a Howdy Doo to you! I'm Tom the Beer Whisperer and I love to talk about beer, I love to drink it too!
                       
This is my first article for this blog so,here's a little about what I do. I really don't do beer "reviews" more like beer conversations.
                        
So, since I've been in St Louis for past 2 months, I want to talk about the craft beer scene here and what beers from this area you should look out for.
                                               
Quite a few craft breweries have popped up in St Louis over the last few years.  4Hands, Urban Chestnut, Six Row, 2nd Shift, Civil Life, just to name a few.
All are great in different ways and that's what I love about the craft beer explosion with many breweries expanding and even inventing new styles, so, here's a few of my faves from these breweries:
4Hands: I do have a current infatuation with this brewery and many pubs in the area carry there brews. Two that you see just about everywhere are their Reprise Centennial Red and their Divided Sky Rye. Both are versions or riffs of an IPA.  The Red is a beautiful version of the American Hoppy Red. This one, however, is designed to showcase the centennial hop, which it does.  The Rye, oh the rye, an amazingly refreshing brew, a golden version of the style that's hopped to please.  They have many other great brews but, those are two that are easily found.
Urban Chestnut: This is a very exciting young brewery that has two brew series, their Reverence, which pays homage to traditional styles and their Revolution that turns the craft beer world upside down. Let's start with the Zwickel.
I hadn't had this traditional regional German delight before, hadn't even heard of it before to be honest with you.This beer was the highlight of summer last year, 5.1% 25 IBU, deceptively delicious and wildly refreshing. A great anytime brew and I love the big 16.7oz. bottles they come in.
One more UCBC beer I'll talk about is the STLIPA(St Louis IPA).  It's their version of a double IPA and it's absolutely stunning! There is no doubt in my mind that this will be talked about as one of the best double IPA's around.
Six Row, 2nd Shift and Civil Life all have great beers too, but, I'm running long so, I'll stop there for the moment.
Your neighborhood too probably has breweries popping up. Springfield Mo, where I live has Mother's Brewery, which is absolutely spectacular, Springfield Brewing Company, a brewpub making some fine brews and White River just opened but, I've been in St Louis and hadn't had a chance to try them yet.
                                      
My point to all of this rambling is this: Don't let anyone say, "I don't Like Craft Beer", or, "It's Too Expensive"
or, "That's Just For Pretentious People" and here's why:
Statement #1: There is just too many different breweries and styles to discount it all completely, these individuals just need to be led to the right beer for them.
                                 
Statement #2: Although I will agree many are very expensive and even I have complained about that in several videos, there are many affordable brews to get your feet wet in the craft beer market and, the truth is that barley malt costs more than rice, corn, corn syrup or sugar, so you do have to pay a littel more for quality but, it doesn't have to break the bank.
                                 
Statement #3: Well there are no shortage of Johnny Come Lately snobs to the craft beer industry and there's no doubt that many of these wannabe somebody's are here for the trend, true craft beer lovers have been around a while and are here to stay. You see, 30 pack drinkers are in it to get wasted while the the true craft beer drinker, while we appreciate the buzz, I know I do, it's about the taste, the pleasure, the enjoyment, the love and the passion.
So, support all your local breweries and pubs, try everything and don't belittle that PBR drinker, simply show them a better way. I'm Tom the Beer Whisperer and I'm going to Howdy Doo myself the heck out of here!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogfish Head Positive Contact

Frankenstorm is on it's way.  Bread: Check.  Candles: Check.  Ice: Check.  Beer: Check!  The big storm is supposed to strike land here in NJ late Sunday night into early Monday morning, and last until late Tuesday.  Kerry and I live in the western part of NJ, so we should be safe from most of it, except for local river flooding.  Tonight I'll be reviewing Positive Contact from Dogfish Head.  This is their collaboration with Dan the Automator (who I honestly had never heard of before this collaboration). I poured Positive Contact into my Yards Brewing tulip glass.  It poured a pale orange, golden color with a two and a half finger width head.  Apples, bananas and peppers hit my nose right away.  The smell is incredible and strong.  The Positive Contact is full of flavor, and reminds me of a smooth drinking Belgian tripel.  It tastes immediately of fruity esters, mainly banana.  The finish is peppery.  I'm not getting any apple flavor.  This beer is light bodied, with

BJCP: Strong Scotch Ale (9E)

This is the first article in a new series of posts, where I will periodically choose a section from the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style guidelines , write about the style, and then drink and publish my tasting notes from some of the commercial examples given by the BJCP.  Now, I'm not sure if I will ever actually take the exam to become a beer judge, but I think this will be a fun exercise to learn more about beer! Fair warning, I will not be doing the sections of the BJCP style guidelines in any sort of order.  Whichever kinds of beer I am craving is what I will be writing about! Strong Scotch Ales (also known as Wee Heavy) comprise sub-category 9E in the BJCP style guidelines.  They range between 6.5% and 10.0% ABV, and have a light copper to dark brown appearance.  Obviously, strong scotch ales are all about showcasing the malt.  While studying this style, I found it quite interesting that the brewers ferment out the wort at cooler temperatures than other

The Six-Pack Project: New Jersey

Welcome to the Six-Pack Project!  The idea of the project is to create a six-pack of beer that would best represent the current beer scene in your respective state.  For me, that is obviously New Jersey.  The Six-Pack Project was created by Bryan over at the This Is Why I'm Drunk blog.  Check out his introduction to the project here ! 10 years ago, beer probably wasn't the first thing that came to your mind when you were thinking about New Jersey.  However, times are changing, and it's an exciting time to be a beer drinker in the Garden State.  Every year, more and more bars are starting to serve a greater variety in beer.  Even more importantly, new breweries haven been opening in NJ each year, and lots more are in planning Today, there is a wide variety of beer brewed here in New Jersey.  Choosing six beers to best represent the state was no easy feat, but I was up for it!  Hopefully, the following will clue you in a little bit more to some o