Skip to main content

Trying a Few Beers from Westbrook Brewing Company


One of my favorite things about being a beer fan in this day and age is shopping for beers when I travel to different states.  Crossing the border into a different state opens a whole array of unique and unfamiliar beers that one doesn't normally have access to in their home state.  I compare it to finding a treasure trove of beer, and taking home my booty.

New York isn't too far from my home base, but I really don't go there too much.  That said, I haven't had much of a chance to explore their local beer and the different array of beers that are distributed to New York.  A few weeks ago, Kerry and I took a day trip and paid a visit to Rushing Duck for a tasting, and stopped in Peekskill Brewery for dinner and to sample some of their beers.  It wasn't too late on the way home, so we popped into Nanuet, NY's Growler & Gill, a pub that has a most excellent bottleshop for purchasing beers to take home.

This was my first visit to Growler & Gill so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I had heard good things.  I ended up bringing home lots of beers that were new to me, including beers from Grimm Artisanal Ales, Bell's Brewery, Stillwater Artisanal Ales, and more.  In this case, "more" included 2 beers from Westbrook Brewing Company, a brewery I had only sampled beers from in the past.

Beer Haul, Growler and Gill, Smuttynose, Bell's, Ommegang, Grimm, Kentucky, Stillwater, Westbrook, Cigar City
Some of the beers I got from Growler and Gill

Westbrook Brewing, perhaps best known for their imperial stout Mexican Cake (aged on cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, and fresh habanero peppers), has a limited distribution to South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and New York right now (according to their website).  You can expect to find their beers on draft, in bottles, and in cans.

I was especially excited to be able to bring home two of their year round beers, One Claw and White Thai. One Claw was an absolutely delicious rye pale ale.  Coming in at 5.5% abv,  it wasn't overpowering or palate wrecking at all. What I had was just a smooth, easy drinking pale ale with a touch of spice from rye. White Thai (5% abv) was a unique take on a witbier, having been brewed with fresh lemongrass, ginger root and Sorachi Ace hops. Although not my favorite style, it was a solid beer, and was interesting enough for me to keep returning to my glass.  I loved flooding my nose with the wonderful Asian-inspired aromas in White Thai, and could pretend I was on a boat in the Arabian Sea, returning from adventure (or maybe just on my couch in NJ).

Now that these beers are done, I am certainly looking forward to returning to New York and finding some more brews from Westbrook!

Westbrook Brewing, South Carolina, Beer, Craft Beer, White Thai
White Thai, a unique witbier from
Westbrook 
Westbrook Brewing, South Carolina, One Claw, Pale Ale, Beer, Craft Beer
One Claw, a rye pale ale from Westbrook
























Comments

  1. White Thai is a perfect combo of ingredients with the Sorachi Hops. Like Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace, I think it does a great job showcasing the unique grass-like ("but in a good way!") character of the hop.

    One Claw is simply a God-send. Best ryePA I may have ever had. Like you point out, it's zippy enough for craft beer fans, but I think it wouldn't be too off-putting for those not used to the flavor of rye.

    I only regret that I can't get Westbrook here in NC, when the brewery is just four hours away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely surprised to find Westbrook being sold in NY. I figured it would be in more central/southern states than up in NY, but I'm glad they had it. Now if I can just get lucky enough to find some of their other beers...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogfish Head Positive Contact

Frankenstorm is on it's way.  Bread: Check.  Candles: Check.  Ice: Check.  Beer: Check!  The big storm is supposed to strike land here in NJ late Sunday night into early Monday morning, and last until late Tuesday.  Kerry and I live in the western part of NJ, so we should be safe from most of it, except for local river flooding.  Tonight I'll be reviewing Positive Contact from Dogfish Head.  This is their collaboration with Dan the Automator (who I honestly had never heard of before this collaboration). I poured Positive Contact into my Yards Brewing tulip glass.  It poured a pale orange, golden color with a two and a half finger width head.  Apples, bananas and peppers hit my nose right away.  The smell is incredible and strong.  The Positive Contact is full of flavor, and reminds me of a smooth drinking Belgian tripel.  It tastes immediately of fruity esters, mainly banana.  The finish is peppery.  I'm not getting any apple flavor.  This beer is light bodied, with

BJCP: Strong Scotch Ale (9E)

This is the first article in a new series of posts, where I will periodically choose a section from the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style guidelines , write about the style, and then drink and publish my tasting notes from some of the commercial examples given by the BJCP.  Now, I'm not sure if I will ever actually take the exam to become a beer judge, but I think this will be a fun exercise to learn more about beer! Fair warning, I will not be doing the sections of the BJCP style guidelines in any sort of order.  Whichever kinds of beer I am craving is what I will be writing about! Strong Scotch Ales (also known as Wee Heavy) comprise sub-category 9E in the BJCP style guidelines.  They range between 6.5% and 10.0% ABV, and have a light copper to dark brown appearance.  Obviously, strong scotch ales are all about showcasing the malt.  While studying this style, I found it quite interesting that the brewers ferment out the wort at cooler temperatures than other

The Six-Pack Project: New Jersey

Welcome to the Six-Pack Project!  The idea of the project is to create a six-pack of beer that would best represent the current beer scene in your respective state.  For me, that is obviously New Jersey.  The Six-Pack Project was created by Bryan over at the This Is Why I'm Drunk blog.  Check out his introduction to the project here ! 10 years ago, beer probably wasn't the first thing that came to your mind when you were thinking about New Jersey.  However, times are changing, and it's an exciting time to be a beer drinker in the Garden State.  Every year, more and more bars are starting to serve a greater variety in beer.  Even more importantly, new breweries haven been opening in NJ each year, and lots more are in planning Today, there is a wide variety of beer brewed here in New Jersey.  Choosing six beers to best represent the state was no easy feat, but I was up for it!  Hopefully, the following will clue you in a little bit more to some o