Camelopardalis is the 6th release in the Northern Hemisphere constellation portion of the Weyerbacher Brewer's Select Series. It was released on Friday, March 7 in the Weyerbacher's Easton, PA taproom. 12 oz. bottles of Camelopardalis are only sold at the brewery, and you will only be able to find an extremely limited number of kegs throughout Weyerbacher's distribution.
Weyerbacher Camelopardalis (from Weyerbacher)
- A 10.2% abv, 40 IBU Belgian-style Imperial IPA
- During the whirlpool, over 200 pounds of Hopsteiner OCC Experimental and Simcoe hops
- Grain bill was composed of 100% North American pale malt, and was fermented with a Belgian wheat beer yeast
- Weyerbacher brewed this beer to be consumed right away, and advise against aging it!
- Camelopardalis is from the Latin derivation of the Greek word for "giraffe"
- "Camelo" - camel, "Pardalis" - leopard
- You can thank Dutch astronomer Petrus Plancius and German astronomer Jakob Bartsch for creating and documenting Camelopardalis in 1624
- 18th largest constellation in the night sky
- Has 3 stars with known planets
- the brightest star is Beta Camelopardalis, but overall the constellation is faint
- Beta Camelopardalis is a binary star with a yellow G-type super giant
- Camelopardalis contains an intermediate spiral galaxy known as NGC 2403, as well as some other clusters and galaxies.
Camelopardalis poured a clear, golden color with a moderate, white head. The aroma is pure hops (the fruity, grassy kind). This Belgian-style Imperial IPA drinks with almost none of the bitterness you would expect from a beer in the style of an IPA. You do get some of the simcoe hops, but the yeast and malt take over the rest of the flavor of the beer. There is a slight spiciness in the finish.
Overall, I really liked Camelopardalis. The aroma reminded me of an Imperial IPA, while the flavor and mouthfeel of the beer reminded me more of an strong Belgian ale. I love tasting unique beers like this. I hope they continue to make many more of them!
For other beers in the Weyerbacher Brewer's Select Series, click here!