Skip to main content

Indiana - One Year

Just a little more than one year ago, my family and I relocated to Indianapolis from New Jersey due to some changes in my full-time job.  It was a tough, yet exciting, move for us.  We quickly had to put our small, 2nd floor condo up for sale, and at the same time travel to Indianapolis to house hunt and find a neighborhood that would suit us.

The prospect of moving to an area with a completely new to me beer landscape was intriguing.  As soon as I knew for sure that my family and I were making the move to Indiana, I performed some online searches to compile a list of the breweries that were local to our new area.  A Google Map was created just for the breweries.  Facebook pages and Instagram pages were followed.

Sun King, Founders, joppy lager
Sun King and Founders collab, Riding the Rails

I quickly learned that Indiana isn't quite like other states I've visited where alcohol is involved.  Some of these laws astonished me!

First things first, any minor (under 21 years old) is not allowed to step foot in a liquor store.  Not even accompanied by an adult.  My 2 year old son and I found this out firsthand shortly after we relocated.

Brew Link, Plainfield, stout, mint
Brew Link Double O Mint Chocolate Stout

Second, minors are not permitted in bar areas, even if they're not drinking.  This includes bars at breweries, brewpubs, or the local Applebee's.  The law is a bit vague, but restaurants that have bars and brewery taprooms have found ways to circumvent this law.  If a taproom wishes to allow minors, they can have a barrier installed between a general seating areas and the actual bar.  But, that general seating area needs access to a bathroom that doesn't involve crossing the bar area!

Brew Link, Plainfield, IPA
Brew Link Insert Hop Reference IPA

So small brewery taprooms need to have this planned out ahead of time if they are considering allow minors on premise.  Some go forth with the extra effort involved, and some make the decision to stay 21+ only.

This post isn't meant to suggest one business model is superior to the other, but just to highlight big differences between Indiana and New Jersey.

A saving grace is that grocery stores and convenience stores sell alcohol, and it doesn't matter how many kids you have in tow.  The only catch is these stores are not allowed to sell cold beer!  It must be kept at ambient temperature.  Unless you are looking to buy white wine.  For some reason they can keep that in a refrigerated case.

Sun King, Indiana, IPA
Sun King SKB IPA

Most grocery stores don't have an awful selection either.  The Super Target near me has a local section where they sell Sun King, Taxman, Bells, Central State, 3 Floyds, etc.  Kroger and Meijer have mix your own 4 pack or 6 pack shelves, so that comes in handy.

So yea, it's hard to believe my family and I have already spent more than 1 year in Indiana.  In that time we've been settling into our new home, getting used to my new job, and exploring our new surroundings.  We've also welcomed a new daughter into our family!  Things have definitely been busy, but I'm looking forward to checking out more of what Indiana beer had to offer!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogfish Head Positive Contact

Frankenstorm is on it's way.  Bread: Check.  Candles: Check.  Ice: Check.  Beer: Check!  The big storm is supposed to strike land here in NJ late Sunday night into early Monday morning, and last until late Tuesday.  Kerry and I live in the western part of NJ, so we should be safe from most of it, except for local river flooding.  Tonight I'll be reviewing Positive Contact from Dogfish Head.  This is their collaboration with Dan the Automator (who I honestly had never heard of before this collaboration). I poured Positive Contact into my Yards Brewing tulip glass.  It poured a pale orange, golden color with a two and a half finger width head.  Apples, bananas and peppers hit my nose right away.  The smell is incredible and strong.  The Positive Contact is full of flavor, and reminds me of a smooth drinking Belgian tripel.  It tastes immediately of fruity esters, mainly banana.  The finish is peppery.  I'm not getting any apple flavor.  This beer is light bodied, with

BJCP: Strong Scotch Ale (9E)

This is the first article in a new series of posts, where I will periodically choose a section from the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style guidelines , write about the style, and then drink and publish my tasting notes from some of the commercial examples given by the BJCP.  Now, I'm not sure if I will ever actually take the exam to become a beer judge, but I think this will be a fun exercise to learn more about beer! Fair warning, I will not be doing the sections of the BJCP style guidelines in any sort of order.  Whichever kinds of beer I am craving is what I will be writing about! Strong Scotch Ales (also known as Wee Heavy) comprise sub-category 9E in the BJCP style guidelines.  They range between 6.5% and 10.0% ABV, and have a light copper to dark brown appearance.  Obviously, strong scotch ales are all about showcasing the malt.  While studying this style, I found it quite interesting that the brewers ferment out the wort at cooler temperatures than other

The Six-Pack Project: New Jersey

Welcome to the Six-Pack Project!  The idea of the project is to create a six-pack of beer that would best represent the current beer scene in your respective state.  For me, that is obviously New Jersey.  The Six-Pack Project was created by Bryan over at the This Is Why I'm Drunk blog.  Check out his introduction to the project here ! 10 years ago, beer probably wasn't the first thing that came to your mind when you were thinking about New Jersey.  However, times are changing, and it's an exciting time to be a beer drinker in the Garden State.  Every year, more and more bars are starting to serve a greater variety in beer.  Even more importantly, new breweries haven been opening in NJ each year, and lots more are in planning Today, there is a wide variety of beer brewed here in New Jersey.  Choosing six beers to best represent the state was no easy feat, but I was up for it!  Hopefully, the following will clue you in a little bit more to some o