Skip to main content

Bolero Snort Brewery: Cracked Pepperhorn

Two weeks ago, I posted about how I stumbled across Bolero Snort's Barrel Aged Javahorn.  During that same trip to the bottle shop, I picked up a bottle of Cracked Pepperhorn, Bolero Snort's 2nd anniversary beer.

There is just something exciting and nostalgic about the passing of another year.  Brewers celebrate a full revolution around the sun by getting creative in the brewhouse and constructing a special beer. To commemorate their 2nd anniversary, New Jersey's Bolero Snort Brewery brewed up a brown ale.  

A brown ale?  You read me right!  For Cracked Pepperhorn, Bolero brewed an imperial brown ale with a dose of black peppercorns added for good measure.  An Imperial Peppercorn Brown Ale was born.  The aptly named Cracked Pepperhorn comes in at 8.1% ABV, and is packaged in waxed 750 mL bottles.  I had bottle 203 out of 848 total bottles.

Squid's Fist was one of Bolero Snort's first beers to win an award when they were still only homebrewers. Cracked Pepperhorn pays homage to that beer.  According to the label, Cracked Pepperhorn is Squid's Fist brought to the next level.

Bolero Snort Brewery, Craft Beer, Cracked Pepperhorn, New Jersey
Bolero Snort Cracked Pepperhorn
Bolero Snort knocked it out of the park with Cracked Pepperhorn. It pours with a beautiful amber hue.  Sweet malt dominates up front and is cut with a dry, peppery finish.  It's not too heavy or too sweet.  To me, it was just right.  The 8.1% ABV provides a pleasant warming to round out the beer.  Cracked Pepperhorn is everything I could want out of a brown ale, and probably my favorite Bolero Snort beer to date. 

Now if only I could find some of Bolero Snort's Bergen County Bull Stout....

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great combination (brown ale and peppercorns). I wonder what my chances would be of finding one of the other 847 bottles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently, Bolero Snort self-distributes to a small number of liquor stores in northern and central NJ. So unless you make the trip up here, or score a trade, chances are pretty low you will come across it. I should have added their distribution information to my post!

      If you're interested in trading, we can always talk....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogfish Head Positive Contact

Frankenstorm is on it's way.  Bread: Check.  Candles: Check.  Ice: Check.  Beer: Check!  The big storm is supposed to strike land here in NJ late Sunday night into early Monday morning, and last until late Tuesday.  Kerry and I live in the western part of NJ, so we should be safe from most of it, except for local river flooding.  Tonight I'll be reviewing Positive Contact from Dogfish Head.  This is their collaboration with Dan the Automator (who I honestly had never heard of before this collaboration). I poured Positive Contact into my Yards Brewing tulip glass.  It poured a pale orange, golden color with a two and a half finger width head.  Apples, bananas and peppers hit my nose right away.  The smell is incredible and strong.  The Positive Contact is full of flavor, and reminds me of a smooth drinking Belgian tripel.  It tastes immediately of fruity esters, mainly banana.  The finish is peppery.  I'm not getting any apple flavor.  This beer is light bodied, with

BJCP: Strong Scotch Ale (9E)

This is the first article in a new series of posts, where I will periodically choose a section from the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style guidelines , write about the style, and then drink and publish my tasting notes from some of the commercial examples given by the BJCP.  Now, I'm not sure if I will ever actually take the exam to become a beer judge, but I think this will be a fun exercise to learn more about beer! Fair warning, I will not be doing the sections of the BJCP style guidelines in any sort of order.  Whichever kinds of beer I am craving is what I will be writing about! Strong Scotch Ales (also known as Wee Heavy) comprise sub-category 9E in the BJCP style guidelines.  They range between 6.5% and 10.0% ABV, and have a light copper to dark brown appearance.  Obviously, strong scotch ales are all about showcasing the malt.  While studying this style, I found it quite interesting that the brewers ferment out the wort at cooler temperatures than other

The Six-Pack Project: New Jersey

Welcome to the Six-Pack Project!  The idea of the project is to create a six-pack of beer that would best represent the current beer scene in your respective state.  For me, that is obviously New Jersey.  The Six-Pack Project was created by Bryan over at the This Is Why I'm Drunk blog.  Check out his introduction to the project here ! 10 years ago, beer probably wasn't the first thing that came to your mind when you were thinking about New Jersey.  However, times are changing, and it's an exciting time to be a beer drinker in the Garden State.  Every year, more and more bars are starting to serve a greater variety in beer.  Even more importantly, new breweries haven been opening in NJ each year, and lots more are in planning Today, there is a wide variety of beer brewed here in New Jersey.  Choosing six beers to best represent the state was no easy feat, but I was up for it!  Hopefully, the following will clue you in a little bit more to some o